Last Updated on 25 May 2021 by SEO Manager
What is Local Search Directory?
Local Search Directory is a way to let your potential customers to know when your store is open? How to get in touch with you for your services and products? What services you provide and how much other customers trust you? Growing your online visibility via local business listings directories is integral to your local marketing strategy.
Reach Potential Customers
A consumer located anywhere is connected with any business in town instantly via local listings on major platforms like Google My Business, Facebook, or Yelp.
Concept of Local Directory
The concept of local business listing was originally borrowed from the idea of advertising in yellow pages and in the local newspapers. As search engines evolved, the need to come up with a process for helping customers find local businesses around them also had to evolve. It offered relevant neighborhood business listings, directions and maps.
In 2005, Google started offering driving directions and local information to people on the go. Since then, Google local search and how it sources information has undergone many sophisticated changes. Google is the most widely used search engine, adding your NAP data directly to Google is a necessity.
Online Business Directories
Businesses need to be listed on the online business directories. This helps people to easily find a local business. In this regard, a business directory acts as a community portal. It helps consumers to find local businesses—like yours.
What is NAP ?
Your business’ name, address, and phone number (NAP) is oftentimes the most important piece of information customers will be looking for on your online business directory listings.
What is Vertical Directory ?
Listing on both popular, general directories as well as vertical-specific/niche directories is the way to go.
Surprisingly, niche local business directories are ranked high in Alexa, meaning that a fair amount of people use them in their business search.
Some free online business directories are a better alternative if a business’s digital marketing budget is small. When consumers search for your business online, these local directory listings appear in the search results, making your business easier to find. Creating local business listings is the main work of any local business marketing campaign.
Which Local Directories Are Popular ?
Look into local directories such as YellowPages, Yelp, SuperPages, CitySearch for your local presence. Directories like Facebook, Manta, Better Business Bureau, and City-Data target specialized services. Angieslist and MerchantCircle also add your business authority.
How to Get More Visibility ?
Local Business Listings give more visibility for your business and every new listing that you create enhances your chances of being found online by customers. By verifying and editing business directory listing information, you can help customers find a business through their local search.
If your business is visible online, search engines trust the accuracy of your business data and thus, your chances of ranking on top for local searches shoot up.
Local directory listings are more than just the name of the business and the address – they include the hours of operation, and even link you to reviews from happy (or not-so-happy) customers.
How Does Local Directory Help Local Search Engine Marketing?
Listing your business on every possible business directory is the best way to make sure your business maximizes its SEO and is visible in as many searches as possible.
This will increase the reach of your business profile in searches across multiple search engines in local and mobile queries. The more popular a directory is, the more likely it is that businesses will be found via customers searching online.
In other words, listing your business massively drives your local SEO.
Consumers can even review specific products and services, which means there’s more positive reputation for businesses to cultivate through the site.
What Does it Cost to List in Local Directories ?
The cost varies from directory to directory. From free listings to several hundred dollars per year. Depending on what the cost is to list on the local directory, it may or may not be worth creating a listing for a business. Once you’ve claimed and verified your listing, you have access to a wide selection of features all designed to help you reach your customers. A business listing can include basic business details, as well as rich media like photos and videos, as well as customer reviews. You can categorize listing items of any type like companies, shops, websites and much more.
Some of the paid local directories are:
- DexKnows and Superpages are a part of other DexMedia Group Inc.
- Infogroup has a massive database of businesses in the US and also partners directly with top search engines and local business directories to provide information on local businesses.
- Yelp results can even be found on the first page of local search results in Google for specific business categories.
- GoLocal247 is an online business directory where users can search for local businesses, post reviews, browse event listings, and find coupons.
- Manta’s online business directory generates a lot of volume, which is hard to beat, especially when you can create a basic business listing for free. For small businesses looking to network, Manta could be an added bonus.
- Yellowbook is an online business directory where users can look up local businesses, perform people searches or conduct a reverse lookup.
- With EZlocal moving up drastically on the top 100 business directories list in the past two years, it’s clear that EZLocal is making itself known in the business directory space. Customers can search their online business directory as well as people directory and leave reviews for businesses. EZlocal is also a Google Partner, meaning that EZlocal has met Google’s requirements to earn the Google Partner status.
- Edmunds states that their dealer reviews pages are indexed and results are available on search engines such as Google and Yahoo. is a free tool for businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps.
Are you Listed in a Local Directory ?
However, despite the popularity of online local search directories, it is estimated that only 37% of businesses have actually claimed their spot.
Roughly 33% of consumers are searching for local businesses daily.
People also ask:
What is local directory?
What is a search directory?
What is local search marketing?
What is Google Local Search?
local search engine list
local search example
local search ads
what is local search ai
local search engine website
local search engines
google local search